GETTING TO KNOW YOU FRIDAY JULY 2015

GETTING TO KNOW YOU FRIDAY JULY 2015 

Welcome to July and getting to know you Friday. On the first Friday of each month I want us to take the time to get to know each other a little better. I'll post something you might not know about me and ask you to share.


WHAT CAN YOU REMEMBER?

Isn't she a cutie? That's Brinkley, my great-granddaughter. I used her picture to illustrate our post today, because she is a real cutie, but she's also the right age.  

Let me tell you a story.

The first boy I was allowed to date, back in high school, had a motor cycle. He took me to a party one night, and the minute I climbed on the bike with him, I had the oddest memory.  The feeling like I'd been on a motorcycle before. I didn't think I had, and I soon lost the feeling to the wind in my hair and the fact that we got lost going to where we were going.

Through the years, every time I climbed on a motor bike, I relived that feeling. I could remember sitting on a motorcycle and looking up at my mother, like she was on a balcony. It was weird, but nothing I thought to ask either of my parents about before they went to heaven.

After we went to my father's funeral I was sitting in the kitchen with his youngest brother. Something was said about motor cycles and I finally got the opportunity to voice my question. "Did Dad have a motorcycle when I was a baby?"

My uncle's answer, "No, but I used to ride mine when I came to visit your family, why?"

So I told him my story. He sat at the table grinning and when I finished he provided the missing pieces to my memory. It seems my parents lived in an upstairs apartment in a nearby town. My uncle would ride over to visit, and on a couple of occasions took his 7 or 8 month old niece for a very slow ride around the parking lot while my mother watched from the upstairs railing.

So my oldest memory is from when I was less than a year old.

My getting to know you question?  What is your oldest memory?  Please share in the comments below.

6 comments:

  1. I think my youngest memory was when I was about 3, when I managed to get my Mom's scissors and cut my brother's hair. It never grew right after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think you are taking a bit too much on yourself here. (SMILE)

      Delete
  2. My earliest memory was from when I was somewhere around 2 or 3. I remember climbing up on the step in the bathroom and looking in the mirror at the bkack stiches under my tongue. I think I may have had my tongue clipped because of a lisp. My mom does not even remember me having that done! Lol. But I have always remembered it as my earliest memory. And my youngest had his tongue clipped as a newborn to help with breastfeeding.

    Your great granddaughter is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I guess it made more of an impression on you than your mom. Yes, Brinkley is a doll, I think we'll keep her!

      Delete
  3. I have a memory of watching my older brother and sister climb out of a window from a bunkbed that was right next to it. I seemed to be lying on the ground as they were a long way away. Our house did not have a window next to the bunkbeds. I always assumed it was a dream. I found out when I was older, that my siblings HAD climbed out a window from a bunkbed while we were staying with family friends. I was 8 months old and had been in a cradle on my back. (it was nap time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, that's awesome and a lot like mine. More of an impression than a memory until we get the rest of the story!

      Delete