EBOOK OR PRINT? GETTING TO KNOW YOU FRIDAY March 2015

GETTING TO KNOW YOU FRIDAY March 2015

Welcome to March and getting to know you Friday. On the first Friday of each month I want us to take the time to get to know each other a little better. I'll post something you might not know about me and ask you to share.

My question tonight is E-book or print, and why?



It probably won't surprise anyone to know that I love books. I've had a librbary card since I was in the second grade and can remember riding my bike to the town library as early as the third grade. I'd pedal home with my basket full of new places and things to explore, and make the same round trip on the next Saturday.

I have bags, boxes, and shelves of books. I love the feel of a book in my hand. The texture of the cover, the smell of the paper, the sound of pages turning. For me reading is a complete sensory experience.


That being said, I have to admit that I find myself loading more and more books on my Kindle. I love the ease and portability of taking a whole library with me. I see a book on a facebook post that I want, BAM, it's mine.  I finish what I'm reading in the middle of lunch, there's a whole list of new books to choose from. I even have my Bible on my Kindle. It goes where I go.

And free books, let's not even go there! I hope you AREN'T like me and actually read the free books you down load. That's why we give them away, to entice you into buying the next one, which you can't do if you downloaded the free one and didn't read it, but I digress. (I will say that my intentions are good...I always mean to read them, but writing takes more and more of my reading time these days.)

So, share...E-book or print, and why?

Speaking of free books, THE WOMEN OF VALLEY VIEW: CALLIE is FREE.  


get it here:  http://www.amazon.com/Callie-inspirational-womens-fiction-Valley-ebook/dp/B00U6T57US/ref=la_B009OB2HSO_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425693663&sr=1-1

15 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, I like both ebooks and paperbacks because one can never have enough books. :) The funny thing about switching between them is I find myself trying to turn the pages on the kindle and touching the pages of my book. Mostly when I'm tired. :) So how many bookshelves do you have? I'm slowly over taking my room and so far my husband hasn't realized that his area is getting gradually smaller. :) Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer. I have about 18 shelves in the unit I took a picture of, about 7 of those currently have books on the. But there are boxes in my closet and boxes in storage. If nothing else, the Kindle has solved the storage issue.

      Delete
  2. I like both ebooks and paperbacks. If it is a textbook, educational book, devotional, self help book or Bible I prefer paperback. Paperbacks are better for thise because I can underline and make notes (i know you can do those things in ebookks, also, it is just less personal and any notes you write are hidden unless you "hit another button"). I am guilty of getting free ebooks with good intentions of reading them. However, books I have promised to review take top priority. O lo e the convenience of the Kindle and like you, love that I have a whole library of good reading at my fingertips. There is also something to be said for the space saving ability of having ebooks versus paperbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, you already know my stand on preference, print or bust! I have a basic Kindle that I charge from time to time, but in the meantime it pretty much collects dust. I just don't do well with ebooks. I grew up reading voraciously, like you, and that physical book does so much more for me. I have a huge library of books that I love, and seeing those physical books is a reminder of books that I have loved and memories flood back. As a reviewer I many times put little slips of paper between the pages to use as references for my review, and occasionally leave a slip in a book as a reminder of a particularly beautiful sentence or phrase. I may have to carry a bit more in my book bag, but it keeps my arms strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancee, Yes I do know how you feel about ebooks. I don't mind them nearly as much as I thought I would.

      Delete
  4. I think I still prefer to hold an actual book in my hand. There's just something about turning pages, smelling the paper, seeing the cover (and being able to touch it!) that seems to connect a reading experience with every other one I've ever had.

    However, I've been reading more and more ebooks recently—primarily for convenience and lack of space for physical books in my home. :) I do enjoy my Nook, but it will never replace holding a hard copy of a book in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, I think we're spoiled. Most of us will go for easy when we have a choice, even me.

      Delete
  5. Sharon, you and I are very similar in our love of print books but also an increasing time spent also reading e-books. My husband can't sleep with my bedside light on so the kindle has been a blessing to both of us because I do like to read most nights before going to sleep. In recent months it has been very handy to have in dentist and doctor's waiting rooms. Like you, I also have the Bible on Kindle but rarely use read it there as I enjoy my familiar print ones far more. On the one I downloaded it is also hard to find just that "right" verse or chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thanks for visiting. I'm reading a chronological Bible this year. That's one good thing, you can have more than on version at your finger tips.

      Delete
  6. I do enjoy paper books, but I have come to really enjoy my Kindle. It gives me a library on the go. Also, since I have the Kindle app on my phone, I can pick up a book that I was reading on my Kindle exactly at the same place and can read anywhere and anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I love being able to sync from device to device.

      Delete
  7. I love them both, and nothing beats a real book. But I can stack thousands of books on my Kindle, and I never have to dust them. They never fall off the shelf because I've stacked them too high. And I can take my entire ebook library with me wherever I go. You just can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, Books on the go is a great thing. Not dusting is a great thing, not picking up toppled books is a good thing. Looks like the kindle wins!

      Delete
  8. I totally agree with everything you said, Sharon. I love everything about reading an actual book, and never thought I would enjoy reading ebooks as much. But I am totally in love with my Kindle. The font is always set to where I can read it easily, and with the backlight I can read anywhere, anytime without disturbing anyone else. I am sure as the years go by, it will become even more of an advantage as these eyes get older and older. Also, when I want to buy a book, it takes literally seconds for me to have it in my hands. And too, my husband has NO idea of how many books I am collecting on it. LOL

    ReplyDelete