GETTING TO KNOW YOU FRIDAY

I've been a book worm since I learned to read in the first grade. Books were the friends that never moved away. Books--along with a flashlight under the sheets- were the comfort in the night when I couldn't sleep. Books took me places I will probably never be able to visit.

This is the first "chapter book" I remember reading. It was published in 1966, so I'm thinking I would have been 9 or 10 when I read it. There was no blurb on Amazon, but here is a snip of a review:

This is a very interesting story about what happens when two kids' father never comes home. They live on the island of Manhattan, in a city. They are afraid of Welfare, which is going to take them, so they pretend they are going to their "godmother's" house in Brooklyn. But instead, they move into a building of which only the ground floor is used, getting in by way of the roof.

Have you read THE WOMEN OF VALLEY VIEW: CALLIE? Do the story lines sound the same? I didn't even realize the similarities until after I had a contract for the book. Several of us were sitting around talking about the first book we could remember and this one came to my mind. I'll tell you it was an OH MY GOSH moment. I am amazed at how God never wastes a single thing in our lives.

When I was 12 I found the TRIXIE BELDEN series. Books about a group of kids living out in the middle of no where. They form a club and go about solving mysteries. I had a SERIOUS crush on Jim!!

I read them, and read them, and re-read them. I even bought the entire series as a young mother in the hopes of enticing my daughters to read. That hope went up in big orange flames!


What's the first book you remember reading? Do you ever see it's influence in your life today? What were your favorite books as a young reader?

18 comments:

  1. My best buddy's dad had the complete Edgar Rice Burroughs and Zane Grey collections, about 100 volumes total. From ages 12 to 15, we read them all. Even tried to eat raw meat just like Tarzan ... once. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, My sister and I read the tarzan books, learned to speak ape and drove my mother ape in the process.

      Delete
  2. My books as a young reader? Zane Gray's westerns, the Sherlock Holmes stories, some of Jack London, a lot of Mark Twain (especially "Life on the Mississippi" and "Connecticut Yankee"), Hurlburts Story of the Bible. In late teens I graduated to Ernest Haycox westerns and the English Romantic poets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donn, I loved Mark Twain too.

      Delete
    2. Yes, and Sherlock Holmes. My grandfather had that series and the Perry Mason series and I would read those whenever I stayed with him!

      Delete
  3. I loved the Trixie Belden you mentioned. Thankfully, my girls do as well. I also inhaled Phyllis A. Whitney and Agatha Christie during my teen years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marji, I don't think I've ever read Phylis Whitney, or Agatha Christy. I moved on to Victoria Holt and her Gothic romances. Thanks again for the picture of the Trixie books.

      Delete
  4. The Secret Garden was the first book I fell in love with. After that, my aunt bought me the entire Narnia set which I've read at least 100 times all the way through. Other books I loved and still read include The Phantom Tollbooth, The White Mountain trilogy by John Christopher and the Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I never read any of those. So many books, so little time!

      Delete
  5. I started with the Little House books. I, too, loved the Trixie Beldon series which led to Encyclopedia Brown books for more mystery. Later, I moved into Christian romance. Funny, looking back to my writing, the first novel I wrote was historical and set out west with cabins and horses with wagons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, There's that early influence!!

      Delete
  6. I attended a one-room country school and went through that small library by the time I was 8 or 9. Those wonderful books were Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, several Pollyanna books, a few Zane Grey. We moved to town for a year and I lived for walks to the library. Nancy Drew and anything the librarian suggested. I read Gone With the Wind at 13 and went on to the books my mom bought from Doubleday. Ever since I can remember I've had a book on my nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoRee, The library was my second home from about the 3rd grade on. I usually have 2-3 books I'm reading at any given time. What I dive back in to just depends on my mood.

      Delete
  7. I too, was disappointed my daughter didn't like the books I loved as a girl. However, my granddaughter is filling that spot! She loves reading all my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja, My oldest daughter is 40. She's just now starting to read for fun.

      Delete
  8. I LOVED Trixie Belden, too (had a pair of yellow boots that were forever referred to as "Trixie Belden boots"), also Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, but the first book that I ever read more than once was A WRINKLE IN TIME. I heart Madeleine L'Engle. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon, I don't know if it's the first book, but the one that had the greatest impact on me is Little Women. I also love the Trixie Belden books, have 'em all still and even re-read my favorites once in a while, I confess. Same with Louisa May Alcott. Whenever I need a shot in the arm on how to write emotion,. I re-read her Jack and Jill and the chapter there their friend Ed dies...Later on I loved Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt (and all her pen names). Best of luck with Valley View and your wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clara Barton books Reading has so influenced me........God bless u and yours
    Chris Granville

    ReplyDelete