THE AMAZING MOTHERS IN MY LIFE

In celebration of Mother's Day I wanted to share the amazing mothers in my life.

This is my grandmother, Evelyn Carr. By my guesstimation she was in her early forties here, this picture was taken on my mother's wedding day. What you see here is the way I always remember her. Solemn, plain dark dress, hair in a net.  She doesn't look happy, but most of the pictures from that era look the same. Not a lot of toothy grins and selfies in the early fifties.

But maybe it was just life that painted that expression on her face. By the time this picture was taken, she'd buried a baby boy and a husband. She'd spent the better part of her life cleaning house for others and taking in sewing to support her remaining two children. So solemn fits. I think heroic fits too.

Meet my mother, Norma Jean Anderson. She was a beautiful woman, inside and out. Here's a news flash for you. We did not always get along. GASP!!! But she always made me feel loved. I knew I was never alone as long as I could fall into her arms. She was the glue that held our family together, and that family has not been the same since she went to Heaven seventeen years ago. I miss her beyond words.

Last but not least I give you Tammi Richardson (gray shirt)  and Amber Emmons (Pink shirt), my daughters. Here they are hamming it up in the Caribbean  with "Elvis". These two women amaze me every day. Between them they have thirteen kids through blood and marriage, two fosters, and two foreign exchange students. Amber has three and a third grandchildren, and Tammi is within sniffing distance of her teaching degree. I don't know how they do it. I know I'm glad it's them and not me. What word could I use except amazing?

Happy Mother's Day Ladies, I love you!


2 comments:

  1. A lovely post, Sharon. I also enjoyed your post very much on James Callan's blog: http://www.jamesrcallan.com/blog/2014/05/09/the-women-took-over/#comment-3828

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post Sharon . Would love to win a copy of your book . Thanks .
    lizd225(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete