KEEPING CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS


Do you know what you get if you take Christ out of CHRISTmas? A MESS. That isn't an original thought, I saw it on Facebook earlier in the week.

That statement and a story my husband told me this week are the basis of this this week's post.

To appreciate this, you have to know my husband. He's a sixty-three year old flooring contractor. He's a redneck. If you've read any of Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if..." That's my husband. The other thing you need to know is that he's only been a Christian for about five years. When he decided to get saved, he didn't just stick his toe in the fountain of life, he jumped in head first without a life preserver. He's the kind of person who believes that if something is worth doing, it's worth doing with your whole heart.

Enough background info.

One day last week my husband went into a popular chicken fast food restaurant. The young lady behind the counter wished him a happy holiday.

His response? "Young Lady, I'm a Christian. and the proper phrasing is Merry Christmas."

She was quick to tell him that she was not allowed to wish her customers a Merry Christmas.

He told her that was a shame cause he was sure in the mood for a chicken lunch and turned to leave.

The man behind the counter, who happened to be the manager, asked my husband where he was going.

Larry shrugged and said he guessed he go across the street for a pizza since he couldn't in good conscience eat in an establishment that openly denied the birth of his savior.

He comes home with stuff like this all the time. Most days I just take a step back and wonder what God is doing with the man I married. But this story sort of made me proud.  

Every year at this time we hear the arguments. But how many of us really take a stand? I'll have to admit, I probably would have had my chicken and wished the guys behind the counter a Merry Christmas as I left. Not because I agree with the whole happy holidays, over Merry Christmas debate, but because I'm not big on confrontation.

But part of the reason I would have had chicken is the difference between a person whose been saved her whole life, versus a newly minted Christian. Sometimes we just take things we've had forever for granted. I wear the mantle of my Christianity every day. It's as much a part of me as breathing. Maybe it's a little tarnished from all the wear. My husband's story made me want to polish that mantle up to it's original shine. To be vocal about what I believe. To keep Christ in Christmas.

What are you doing to keep Christ in your Christmas?

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
    Bring you Good wishes of happiness.

    Sorry for greeting you earlier,, just don't want miss saying this.
    By the way, I'm clotee. It's my first time visiting your blog. I am blogger too, and now try my best luck to open an e-store. Nice to know you.

    Regards,
    Clotee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that wonderful story, Sharon. Your husband is walking the walk. I'm inspired.
    Blessings,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, I can only hope the restaurant manager, and even the clerk behind the counter, will give some thought to your husband's stand. More Christians need to do the same. We always celebrate Christmas with a birthday party for Jesus, complete with cake (in spite of the piles of cookies made for the season) and candles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Your husband sounds like our kind of guy. S & S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the post, Sharon. Wishing you and your hubby a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete