Religious Freedom or Christian Vaules?






Bill of Rights, Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


First of all, I want to reinforce the fact that I'm all for the sentiment expressed in this picture. 


I look at the world around me and I see people living in the Biblical time of Judges 17:6 “…every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”

Prayer has been removed from our schools. The debate continues about “One nation under God” in our pledge of allegiance. Copies of the Ten Commandments have been removed from courthouses. Open prayer before sporting events is vanishing. How long can it be before “In God We trust” goes missing on our currency? 



The pilgrims came to “America” looking for religious freedom. Our founding fathers embraced Christian values. But, I’m wondering if the wording of the first amendment doesn’t shoot the concept of a nation based on Christian values in the foot.


I’m not a very political person. But I do care about where America is headed. This question has been on my mind for a couple of weeks and I'd be interested in you opinion…


Is it possible to have an America that functions on Biblical Christian values while still maintaining the religious freedom promised to America’s citizens in the Bill of Rights?



***While you're here, Please take a few minutes to visit the tabs at the top of the page. Terri has an interview with Margaret Brownley. The Margaret is here to talk her latest novel, Waiting for Morning. Be sure to answer the question at the end of the interview. The Margaret will be giving away a copy of this book at the end of the week. Karla welcomes Mike Lynch and Roseanna M White to her page for a sneak peak at their upcoming releases. Callie has a special devotion prepared for us by Mary Hamilton. Pam just posted a yummy recipe for Alligator Stew.***

2 comments:

  1. I liked your post today. Blessings, Susan Fryman

    ReplyDelete